Erica Media began her camp career in 2007. She continues to be a leader at camp;
from Friday Nite Flix, to welcoming new staff and working year round.
Erica shared her reflections on camp during Friday Night Services.
Good evening. When Mitch asked me to speak about my experience at Camp Towanda, I asked him how much time do we have? Towanda is a topic I can, and have, spent many long days into nights talking about.
When I first arrived at camp, like most of you, I was nervous and had no idea what I was in for. I’d just finished my first year of film school in Toronto and was looking for an adventure. When people talk about moments that changed their lives, choosing to come to Camp Towanda is certainly the biggest life changing moment for me. A decision I very literally made by flipping a coin.
Without knowing how, somehow my first day at camp turned into my first year, then my first 5 years at camp. In a blink I reached 10 years, somehow past 15 and am now in my 16th year at Towanda, longer than almost all of the campers have been alive.
Over the years I’ve lived in Canada, Australia, I’ve travelled the US by RV, and mini school bus, but no matter where I went, I knew I could always come home. Towanda is home, and not just during the amazing summer weeks when all of us come together, but I am thankful to say, year-round.
Often times we look at the big picture of Camp, but really, it’s the small things that make camp whole. You could take away the inflatables, the outside entertainment and even canteen, and the important stuff would still be here. Take in the small moments, the sunshine through the trees on the way to the waterfront, the smell of the campfire, the tingle of your friends hand in yours. Towanda provides the best place to make friends. And not just temporary friends you can walk away from if times get hard, but relationships that are worked on and grow over many weeks and years. The friendships I have made over my 16 years are irreplacable. Even if time and distance often keep us apart, reuniting with my camp friends brings us all home to Towanda, even if sometimes just figuratively speaking.
I am very thankful that for me there is no difference between camp and the “real” world. I am thankful to Mitch for years of guidance and lessons, even if sometimes I had to learn the hard way, perhaps the best way. I am thankful for the senior staff who both challenge me, and embrace me, and most importantly put up with me. And I am most thankful for the campers and counselors who bring life and laughter to Towanda each year.
Towanda is the family you choose. Tell your camp family you love them, as I tell you now that I love Camp Towanda and all of you. Thank you.

